CoEd Varsity Cross Country
Hello current and future Woodson Cross Country runners. I'm new head boys and girls Cross Country Coach Dave O'Hara. I will be holding two meetings on May 13th. One for the students that will take place right after school and the other for the parents later that night. The parent meeting is just an informal meet and greet. Feel free to bring your son or daughter with if you like but they are not required to go. Information for both are below. I'm excited to meet all of you and am looking forward to a fantastic season!
If your son or daughter can not make the interest meeting email me at email@example.com and I will send you the documents from the interest meeting.
Student Interest Meeting: Wednesday May 13th at 2:15pm in room C123.
Parent Meeting: Wednesday May 13th at 7pm in Cafeteria (A)
Practice today, October 15th, is canceled due to thunderstorms. If the weather lightens up and is safe, please go for a pre-race run on your own as we usually do.
If you are riding the bus tomorrow to the meet at Burke Lake, the bus leaves at 2:30, by entrance 5 (right outside the training room).
Look under team 'files' to locate the October calendar!
Cross Country Update ~ July 30, 2014
Cross country begins this coming Monday, August 4th! Please make sure you have all forms with you if you haven't turned them in yet. In order to participate at all, you will need:
1. VHSL physical form (updated after May 2014)
2. Emergency Care Card
3. Concussion Education Course completed by athlete and one parent
The August practice schedule is posted under Team Files. Please review/print out and post somewhere you'll have it accessible over the next month!
Make sure to wear appropriate RUNNING shoes (not aerobic or basketball shoes), proper running clothes, and bring a water bottle (with your name on it somewhere). Ideally, you will have 32 ounces of liquid with you (water and a sports drink).
Everyone is required to begin practice on Monday, August 4th for a week of training to show the ability to run over 3 miles without stopping, and so coaches can begin to group athletes based on endurance and ability for group runs. The tryout time trial will take place on Monday, August 11th. This is a two mile time trial (boys must run under 15:00 and girls must run under 18:00 minutes). We have designed a week of training prior to the tryout to eliminate having tryouts repeatedly over the course of the first two weeks, and so everyone has the opportunity to learn drills, understand the requirements of the cross country program, and get in a good week of training to eliminate any injuries before the time trial. The team roster will be finalized after the time trial.
*If you have notified me of absences, I have those documented and we have you covered. If you will be absent on the date of the time trial (you should have already notified me), you will complete your time trial in Week 1.
Please let me know if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Go Cavaliers!
Woodson Cross Country begins August 4th, 2014
1. Practices begin at the Woodson Track on August 4th from 7am – 9am, and will continue throughout that week at Woodson and also at Burke Lake Park at the same time. Practice times during the school-year are 3:15 – 5:15pm. Detailed schedule to follow.
2. All information about the season will be posted on the Woodson Athletics Website by Monday, May 5th. This will include training plans for over the summer, tryouts and tryout time requirements, summer practice schedule, captains, forms, physicals, expectations and tentative team gatherings.
3. Expectations prior to the start of school and the first competition:
- You must attend 20 practices in order to compete in a meet, per VHSL standards. Our first meet is Monroe Parker at Burke Lake on September 6th.
- You are allowed one week (5 practices) of excused absences prior to the start of school, which have been approved by the coach due to family obligations and vacations. Please contact the coach if you have special circumstances as exceptions can certainly be made.
- If you know you will miss more than two weeks of practices in August, and/or if you know you will have consistent conflicts throughout the season with practice times or meets, this is probably not a good fit, but please email with specific questions.
Send an email to Julia.Davidson@fcps.edu with any questions! Looking forward to a great season! Look out for all updated and new information on the Woodson Website: http://wtwoodsonsports.org (click on Cross Country).
***WT Woodson High School’s Sports Medicine Staff will be hosting physicals at Woodson on Wednesday June 18th from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. Physicals will be comprehensive and complete the requirement for the VHSL physical required for participation in athletics in Virginia and are good for the ENTIRE 2014-2015 school year. The cost will be $50 per student. Athletes will need to bring their VHSL physical forms with pages 1, 2, and 4 completed and signed by a parent/guardian. These forms can be picked up in the Activities Office or found online at www.vhsl.org. Only forms that say revised March 2013 will be accepted. Students will also need to wear athletic clothing and running shoes.
Please pre-register at the following website: http://www.fcps.edu/supt/activities/atp/ppe/index.shtml. From there, select “CLICK HERE TO PRE-REGISTER.” Once you have done that, you will receive a confirmation email. If you DO NOT receive the email within 24 hours, or have any questions, please contact Ms. Fickes in the Athletic Training Room. We will also be accepting walk-ins ($60) with priority being given to those that have pre-registered. All are Welcome! Tell your friends, tell your neighbors. Remember that all money raised goes to support the Athletic Training Program, and most importantly, to your children. Please contact Kelly Fickes, Head Athletic Trainer, at email@example.com with any questions.
1. Lake Braddock Relays are coming up this weekend! Click on files to see the time schedule and list of athletes per race.
2. Friday practice (9/12/14) will begin at 2:45 p.m. and end no later than 4 p.m.
Go to LINK: online.prteamsales.com
Use the FORM ID: woodsonxc2014
Last day to place order: August 18th at midnight