CoEd Varsity Track & Field
ALL FORMS ARE DUE ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2018
Place Emergency Care Form in Outdoor Track & Field mailbox and hand the Physical Form to the Athletic Trainers. Physical forms and Emergency Care forms are available at the activities office and on our website. http://wtwoodsonsports.org/main/filesLinks.
WHAT YOU NEED TO TRYOUT: Everyone MUST have completed ALL of the following:
- *VHSL Physical Form: Completed and turned in to Athletic Trainers – if you did a fall/winter sport or already turned one in this school year, you are OK
- *Emergency Care Form: FULLY completed – even if you did a fall/winter sport – place in Outdoor Track & Field mailbox by February 17th.
- Concussion Education: This must be completed online by BOTH you AND one parent before you can tryout. If you did this for a fall/winter sport, you do not need to do it again. www.fcps.edu/sports.
QUESTIONS: Contact Coach Zuber - KaZuber@fcps.edu
- TRYOUT SYSTEM: Athletes will be evaluated based on their results, effort, and attitude. Team selection will be announced at a mandatory meeting on Monday, February 26th at 3:00pm in Cafeteria A. All athletes need to try at least 3 events. Only those cleared (physical, emergency form and concussion) will try out, no exception.
Monday, February 19th: (10:00am at the track)
- 100 meter dash
- 1 mile run
- Shot Put/Discus practice
- Pole Vault
Tuesday, February 20th: (3:30pm at the track)
- 400 meter dash
- 100m/110m Hurdles
- Long Jump and Triple Jump
- Shot Put and Discus
- High Jump
Wednesday, February 21st: (3:30pm at the track)
- 800 meter run
- 200 meter dash
- High Jump
- Long Jump and Triple
- Shot Put and Discus
Thursday, February 22nd: (3:30pm at the track)
- Make-up Day.
Friday, February 23rd: (3:30pm at the track)
- No Tryouts. State Championships Indoor Track
Monday, February 26th: (3:00pm in Cafeteria A)
- Mandatory Meeting in Cafeteria A. Final cuts will be made.
FIRST DAY OF TRYOUTS: Monday, February 19th at 10:00AM. Meet at the WTW track.
FORMAT: Sprinters should tryout in 100m, 200m, and 400m. Distance runner 400m, 800m, 1600m. Jumpers should try out in jumps, 100m, and 200m and throwers 100m and throwing. If you don’t know what event you are best at, you need to try as many events as possible. The more we see of you, the better the chance of making the team.
CUTS: Monday, February 26th 3:00pm in Cafeteria A.
EXPECTATIONS: This is a VARSITY SPORT and attendance at practices and meets are MANDATORY.
OTHER ACTIVITIES: We understand that you are busy with other activities and request that you carefully consider your time commitments when deciding whether to try out. It’s the responsibility of the student-athlete, and their parents, to inform Coach Zuber of any conflicts. All conflicts need to be addressed at the beginning of the season.
PRACTICE: We have practice every week day and most Saturdays regardless of weather. Dress appropriate.
SCHEDULE: http://wtwoodsonsports.org/main/teamschedule/id/3438/seasonId/4276541 Please make sure you are available to attend the meets that are scheduled for you.
EXPENSE: New athletes to WTW cross country, indoor or outdoor track & field, must purchase a uniform. We also encourage everyone to purchase spirit wear. The spirit wear and uniforms are good for all three sports at Woodson. Make sure you have running specific shoes as lower body injuries are often caused by wearing the wrong type of shoes.
QUESTIONS: Contact Coach Zuber at KaZuber@fcps.edu
EVENTS: These events are offered in a regular outdoor track & field meet.
4 x 400m Relay
PREPARATION: You MUST come to the first day of tryouts in shape and ready to compete. If you are not participating in a winter sport, you should be running four days a week, three of those days followed by core exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, lunges).
Interest Meeting for Spring Track & Field will take place on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 3:15pm in Cafeteria A.